Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Moving the Washing Machine

Man.  If I could video record one thing that I've done during this whole process to share with everyone (and get an instant replay for myself), this would be it!  I decided to move the washer and dryer down today.  Why today?  I guess I couldn't really think of anything else to do, and I really wanted to start setting them up.  Sandra and I went upstairs to check them out.  She vehemently protested me moving either of the appliances on my own.  Upon tipping them, they both felt heavy - really heavy.  The dryer had a whole lot of crap on top of it, and it felt heavier than the washer, so I decided to move the washer.  I had a dolly to help, so I figured it'd be easy, right?  Just carefully roll the dolly down the stairs on the desk, down the makeshift ramp to the cement, then inside.  Easy, peasy.  I got it outside onto the deck really easily.  Sweet, I thought.  This is going to be cake.  In protest of my ignorance, Sandra decided to have nothing to do with this and went downstairs. Whatever.  I could do this on my own.  It's not like she was lifting anything.

I approached the stairs on the deck.  The washing machine glared at the rotting wood.  It had a target.  It had a plan.  It had a victim.  All was set to go.  Like a mouse to cheese, I leered at the washing machine.  I'll get you down there just fine, I thought.  I pushed the dolly down one step and pulled back.  Cool.  One down, who knows how many more to go.  I started to push the dolly to go down another step and ran into a problem.  The steps were just high enough that the wheels of the dolly were STUCK!  I pushed a little, then a little more, then BAM!  Next thing I know, I'm off the ground!  I see a branch coming towards me, so I reach for it.  It SNAPS!  I'm falling head first, I see the washing machine under me, laughing at how easily it tai toshi'd me!  I see the banister to the stair case and reach out for it.  I put pressure, on it, got my feet under me, then CRACK!  It broke, too!  I let go of it, and the next thing I know, I hear a crashing sound as the washing machine also made it's way to the bottom of the stairs!  Oddly enough, I landed on my feet!  My shins were killing me, though, so I sat down.

Sandra ran outside, like WTF.  She found me keeling over.  She asked if I was ok, I think I said, "I don't know," then sat down.  My shins had small scrapes on them.  The washing machine was upside down and leaking.  There was a branch on the floor near me, and the banister was near the staircase.  Aw, crap.  This looked like one helluva mess.

I took a while to compose myself, then limped over to the washing machine.  Sandra and I lifted it onto the grass, placed the dolly under it, then started to walk it down the ramp.  GREAT!  Rubber soled shoes have NO traction on plywood!  I started sliding as I tried to slow down the washing machine!  Sandra pushed it to slow it down, and we guided it to the bottom.  I moved the plywood over to the doorway, and brought the machine inside.

Here she sits, mocking me.  Laughing at me.  Washing Maching: 1; ROB: 0.

No comments:

Post a Comment